- Eat protein. Choose high-protein foods, such as meat, fish, and beans, to help balance your blood sugar and send a steady supply of glucose to your brain. For example, Tyrosine, an amino acid in protein foods, such as meat and fish is a precursor to the neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine, which are brain chemicals that affect your moods and energy levels.
- Drink clean, chemically free water. Water makes up about 60% of our body weight. Every system in our bodies depends on water. So how much water should we drink each day? The recommendations vary, but I think a good rule of thumb is to drink half your weight in ounces, especially in warm weather.
- Rotate your food choices. That’s a great way to maintain the brain’s mineral balance.
- Take a fish oil supplement. Choose a high-quality supplement from a well-sourced company. Not sure what to choose? Contact me for some recommendations.
- Avoid farm-raised fish. While it’s a great idea to get your Omega 3s from fish, make sure you choose wild-caught fish instead of farm-raised fish. Read this report on diseases and parasites in farmed salmon and you’ll understand why.
Want to learn more about boosting your brainpower? Email me or give me a call at 319-631-0824 to set up an appointment.